To many, a pop tab is just a piece of aluminum with one purpose – to open a can. But to the Ronald McDonald House of Indiana, the pop tab is a valuable resource. Why? Collected pop tabs are recycled, generating much-needed funds to support the House and the nearly 1,900 families we serve each year.
Thanks to generous school children, families, businesses, clubs, and churches, over one billion pop tabs have been donated in the 15 years since the program began, generating about $500,000 in pop tab revenue for the House.
Funds received from the recycling of tabs usually adds up to between $50,000 and $70,000 annually. All this money goes to the operating expenses of the Ronald McDonald House of Indiana and can cover the cost of operating 3 rooms in the House for an entire year.
Who can participate?
Anyone and everyone can participate in supporting the Ronald McDonald House by collecting pop tabs. Schools, families, churches, service organizations and businesses all participate as a way to show their support of the Ronald McDonald House and the families we serve. Collecting pop tabs is ideal for company break rooms, as an ongoing Scouting or school project or as a family activity.
How do I get started?
It’s easy. There is no formal registration required. Simply remove the pop tab from the aluminum can and put them in your favorite collection container.Unfortunately, we do not supply our pop tab boxes anymore, but any jar, box, or bag will work just fine.
Download a label to put on your pop tab container
Download a poster to display at work, school, or wherever!
Schools, businesses, clubs, and individuals interested can become a member of the A special plaque is presented to any school, group, or organization that reaches their goal of collection one million pop tabs. To learn more, download the “Collect-A-Million” Club information and activity guide. This project is easy, engaging, and a great way to get involved.
Where do I drop off my collected pop tabs?
- At the Ronald McDonald House of Indiana, located on the IUPUI campus on the corner of Michigan and Limestone Streets near downtown Indianapolis between 9 a.m. and 9:30 p.m. seven days a week. Call ahead if you would like to schedule a tour, if you have a very large quantity of tabs, or if you need assistance. Sorry, we can only accept tabs at the Ronald McDonald House, not entire cans.
- To any of our participating Recycling Centers, or to any convenient recycling center or scrap yard near you. Just follow these simple steps:
- Deliver your tabs (remember that you may also collect the entire can, if you plan to deliver your aluminum to a recycling center).
- Ask that the check be made payable to the “Ronald McDonald House of Indiana.”
- Write “pop tabs” on the check’s memo line.
- Mail the check to Ronald McDonald House of Indiana, 435 Limestone Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202. Include your name and contact information, so we know where to send an acknowledgement.
- To almost any Central Indiana McDonald’s Restaurant. Check with your nearby McDonald’s to see if they accept pop tabs. (The vast majority of them do.) If so, just drop them off at the counter or when you go through the Drive-Thru.
To receive more information about the pop tab program, please contact Kelly Thien, Communications and Marketing Manager at (317)269-2247 ext. 207 or by e-mail at email@example.com.